View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Jun 2017, 01:38

Welcome
Welcome to the Off Topic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features, but that is okay because you can either login or register to access the full site. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Pups 
1st Administrator
1st Administrator

Have thanks: 483 time
Highscores: 3
Post Pups
For whatever reason, this website has gone years without any form of thread dedicated to man's best friend. Shame on us.
So here's a thread just for humanity's longest running eugenics experiment, timeless companion, hunting partner, loyal confidant and lounge buddy: Canis lupus familiaris.
:horrordog:

Melanie and I LOVE dogs. In our minds, dogs > most people. We just moved into an apartment in a dog friendly neighborhood and plan to get dogs next summer. We're interested in getting two dogs, but we aren't sure if we want to get puppies or 'rescue' dogs. Greyhounds, Labrador Retrievers and Boxers are the breeds we are looking at, I refuse to own small, obnoxious, none working dogs ie: Chihuahuas, pugs, etc.

Recently I've been fascinated with Greyhounds. They're incredible animals; among the most ancient of dog breeds they can run nearly 45 mph (25 kmph?) Surprisingly, they are couch potatoes and have no problem sleeping and lounging most of the day.They don't require a huge amount of exercise, can adapt to most environments and are friendly, if not, reserved. They have no undercoat, which means they are less likely to have the 'dog' smell and both people allergic to dogs. Strong possibility we'll get two.

Labrador Retrievers, who doesn't love these dogs? Friendly, energetic, adaptable, athletic, lovable and so much fun. Labs are the quintessential dog. I've had good experiences with labs and love'em to death. Always an option.

My favorite dog is a Boxer and I would love to have two versions of her to call my own. Energetic, intelligent these dogs shake their whole butts to compensate for their stubs. However, they can be stubborn, males especially and require lots of exercise.

What kind of dogs do you have and what recommendations, concerning breeds, food, etc. do you have?

19 Aug 2014, 21:50
Report this post
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Have thanks: 135 time
Highscores: 1
Post Re: Pups
I recently got two german shepherd pups, a male & a female whose names are Willie & Riley. Me & Kristin are training them & we plan to eventually breed the male to make a extra buck.

They're a great breed.

I also have a male lab/golden retriever (who strangely hates water), a male sheltie doberman & we also have a cat that we found in our wall around six months ago.

So yeah, we're packed when it comes to animals.

19 Aug 2014, 22:44
Report this post
1st Administrator
1st Administrator

Oh wow, you're house is packed. What's the Sheltie Doberman like?

German shepherds are great dogs but alas, this neighborhood has breed restrictions and they are on the list. I find that strange though, if they are good enough for and preferred by law enforcement and the military the one would think that they'd be acceptable elsewhere as well. Any dog can be a good dog regardless of breed, it just depends on their upbringing.

19 Aug 2014, 23:12
Report this post
Captain
Captain

Have thanks: 270 time
We have russian hound. It hunts foxes and raccoon dogs.

20 Aug 2014, 07:51
Report this post
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Have thanks: 202 time
matuzz wrote:
We have russian hound. It hunts foxes and raccoon dogs.

I used to see plenty of red tail foxes(scientific name Vulpes Vulpes) where I live, but alas I have only seen one in the past few years.

20 Aug 2014, 09:04
Report this post
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Have thanks: 75 time
This is my grandma's jack russell Miša

She's very friendly and loud.

I find a jack russell pug mix super cute

20 Aug 2014, 09:20
Report this post
Colonel
Colonel

Have thanks: 428 time
Highscores: 1
I'd like to have a dog somewhere in the near future, though I'm not sure about the where, the when, the how, et cetera. A lapphund looks awesome, maybe a husky. No idea. As long as I can name my dog Dog, I'm fine with it.

20 Aug 2014, 09:57
Report this post
1st Administrator
1st Administrator

Any specific kind of Husky, like a Siberian or Malamute? They're beautiful creatures but stubborn and aren't that bright generally though they can be trained obviously. I pity the majority I see, living in warm places where it does not even snow. They're miserable in the summer time with such long coats. :/

Totally understand your desire to name the dog, I have a long running list of potential dog names. More than once I've kept Melanie awake at night with suggestions.

20 Aug 2014, 12:22
Report this post
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Have thanks: 104 time
My childhood pooch is 14 now, he's a ***** and he's staying with us this week. He's a beagle and has a lot of lumps and no respect for my couch or Adam's laptop :cry:

20 Aug 2014, 12:50
Report this post
1st Administrator
1st Administrator

He looks ready to take my GMR turn...DON'T TOUCH IT, YOU'LL **** MY WAR PLAN UP YOU SON OF A *****.
Byzantine Bomb has been thanked by:

20 Aug 2014, 20:31
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next