View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Jun 2017, 01:38

Welcome
Welcome to the Off Topic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features, but that is okay because you can either login or register to access the full site. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Space Thread (Set Up) 
Founder
Founder

Have thanks: 221 time
Post The Space Thread (Set Up)
No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I've finally done it! I've finally come up with a fair and easy way to do a space thread I've talked about off and on for a while.
There's still some details that need hammering out that I'd like everyone's input on as well as who'd be interested in participating. If you are interested in the Space Thread, please take your time to read through this wall of text disguised as a thread. Once things on my to do list are done, we can start the mythical Space Thread. First of all, lets start out with the map.

The Map

As you may remember, the last time I toyed with the idea of a space thread, I figured we could just use the Star Wars galaxy since it was nice and big and there were plenty of planets with full histories to choose from. I even went as far to start designating who would start out with what.

Space Thread Prototype Based on the Star Wars Galaxy

As you can see, it was getting along and using existing sci-fi franchises to fill out the details of your empire was neat and convenient idea. Unfortunately, the problem with this set up was two fold. First of all, me and Harvey have an advanced knowledge of the Star Wars galaxy. This in of itself was an unfair advantage as we knew exactly which planets were the most valuable and etc. Secondly, editing this map was going to be a real pain in the ***. As I started working with the map, I realized this. There were other issues too, but more on that later.

This all changed when I had a brain wave while playing one of my favorite games, Sins of a Solar Empire. That game (and the various community mods for it) essentially provide me with all the resources I needed to make my own, easily editable, and completely original galaxy. Below is the map I created for use in this Space Thread!

Standard Version with Background. Background image credit: HST/NASA/ESA

Gridded Version for Easy Reference

Plenty of planets, random distribution, no prior lore to deal with, and easy to edit. The background of the top image is the spiral galaxy NGC 1300 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_1300). For all intents and purposes, consider this galaxy I've made to be NGC 1300. Also, just as a side note, images taken by NASA are in the public domain, so no permissions needed.

I made this map by first going through different planet types that exist in Sins or in various mods I used (E4X, Stars, Infinite Space). Each planet represents a star system, the planet seen being the principle planet of that system (example; Earth is the principle planet of the Sol System). I used the system from E4X mod to create 4 tiers of planets and then modified the list till I was happy with the selection. The tiers are:
  • Tier 0 (Red, Not Habitable) - Asteroid, Fractured Planet, Dwarf Planet, Toxic Planet, Gas Giant, Star
  • Tier 1 (Yellow, Barely Habitable) - Barren Planet, Volcanic Planet, Ferrous Planet, Hydrocarbon Planet
  • Tier 2 (Green, Habitable, but with major obstacles) - Ice Planet, Swamp Planet, Forest Planet, Greenhouse Planet
  • Tier 3 (Blue, Perfect for habitation) - Desert Planet, Oceanic Planet, Terran Planet, City Planet

There will be a key made for easy reference a little later. Additionally, each planet type will have a bit of an explanation as while what an Ice or Volcanic planet is is clear, I doubt many of you know any thing about a Ferrous Planet. The only thing that I really need to do now (Excluding the Key and Planet Explanations) is give each planet (or celestial object) a name and a short background. I figured you guys can help me with this. There are 30 planets for each tier, thus 120 in total. If we each volunteer to come up with a certain number of names (was thinking about 40 each some we have a name for each planet, its star, and some extra names left over), we can make this quick and easy. The guidelines for the names are:
  • It must be a name! Not "Kepler 26-N71-FN" NASA may do that, but that doesn't mean its right, or acceptable.
  • You can use names from Sci-Fi franchises if you want. Keep in mind that I'm not giving the name to any particular planet just because the name came from where ever and its a what ever planet in that show/movie/book. Example, Hoth may be a volcanic planet if the name is volunteered. The names will be distributed randomly and the planet name will have no bearing on the planet's history/type/resources.
  • The name has to make sense as a name for a planet. What I mean by this is use your noggin to decide if the name you have would be appropriate for a planet. Some examples of bad planet names are: ***** (and other inappropriate words), Horrordog (I'm sorry, but pet names generally don't work for planets), Jim (People names generally aren't good either), and Kamchakka (While this might be a good name, the fact that it belongs to a forum member could create confusion). I'm sure there are other bad names, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Moving on to how this map will work, I made a quick example to show you how ownership will be denoted.

Quick Example of Planet Ownership

It'll be pretty easy to see who's planets are who's at a glance. What I didn't do here was add a layer of translucent player color to help show the boarders between different players' space. I'll do this once we distribute the planets. You can see an example of what I mean in the old Star War prototype space thread map. Now for the actual Space Civs!

Your Empire
So one of the other problems from the early ideas of the space thread was that using different sci-fi franchises and such to base our empires off of made for technological, economic, and military differences that could be unfair. To overcome this, we'll just use Nation States. NS can be easily used to make all the details about our empires to keep things fair and on a level playing field. It won't matter what your empire is based on, just what your NS stats say. Now the difficulty with this is that a couple of you that I talked to wanted to just use your current NS nation for the thread rather than make another nation just for the space thread. The reasoning for asking for this is because some of you would rather not go through the trouble of managing two nations. I get that, and I also get the other side of the argument that some of you want create a new empire just for the Space thread so you can have that separation. Allowing both could lead to problems in that established nations will always be much bigger and better than any new nation that is established.

After talking with Pic, we came up with a quick compromise that should satisfy both sides. Basically, both will be allowed, but with a simple fix to the stats of new nations made just for the thread. If you make a new nation, say I make the "New Republic" and I do all its fact-book entries and such, the only thing that will matter is the stuff about it (The flag, the name, the factbook entries, the government) but not the stats (economy, civil rights, political freedoms, etc.). The stats will come from your pre-established nation so you could be on even terms. In my case, the "New Republic" would draw its stats from Osea, nothing more. If say you happen to be interested in this thread and do not have a nation on NS, I think you can establish your new nation on NS, but take your stats from a randomly chosen Nation within the OT. Feel free to chime in about this if this will need to come into play.

Upon your new nation reaching a certain size on NS (say about 750 million), its stats will then come into play. Fair? Also, for population statistics, since we are working on a galactic scale, I was thinking we should tack on two zeros to the end of population statistics. So if you have on NS 897,000,000 people, it would be considered 89,700,000,000. Let me know what you think about that too.

Distribution
I'm planning on doing it the same as we have been lately, random distribution. I just make an excel document with the planet names and then evenly (and more importantly, RANDOMLY) distribute them among all participants. There will be a certain number of planets left over to create neutral empires.

Game Running
Obviously I'll be the cartographer, but I was wondering who we should have as gamemaster. I know that Pic does a really good job in the current world thread and would like if he'd like to do the same with the Space thread, but I'm not sure about your scheduling Pic or if you feel like you have your hands full with the current world thread. I would be able to help of course, perhaps handling random events for you, but that's dependent on what you want to do. Regardless, a similar system can be used with turns lasting a week or so and ending with outcomes and sprinkled with the occasional random event.

So, thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Interjections? I want input on this and its not going to start without your input. Also, please let me know if you are interested or not?

21 Aug 2014, 21:10
Founder
Founder

Post Re: The Space Thread (Set Up)
[Post Reserved]

For now this is the to-do list. Should we get things off the ground, the above OP will move here and a rules section will take its place for easy reference and to keep the space thread OP from getting too cluttered.

To-Do List
  • Map Key
  • Planet/Tier Explanations
  • Planet/Star System Names
  • Nation State Fairness System Approval
  • Gamemaster
  • Empire Creation

Confirmed Participants
  • Jedi
  • Kam
  • Harvey Dent
  • Matuzz
  • Navy
  • Hawk
  • Bomb

Lists (like all of my lists) are not comprehensive. More may be added.

21 Aug 2014, 21:11
1st Administrator
1st Administrator

Have thanks: 483 time
Highscores: 3

This revamped setup sounds terrific! Balanced, creative, random and yet still familiar. I would certainly help you with naming planets and whatever else you'd like assistance on. :thumbsup:

22 Aug 2014, 00:40
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Have thanks: 135 time
Highscores: 1
I guess my World Thread History thread really motivated Jedi. :mrgreen:

22 Aug 2014, 02:10
Colonel
Colonel

Have thanks: 428 time
A space thread, names we can come up with and being mentioned in the OP?

I'm in favour of using my current NS, though it's a good compromise to let people choose. Let me know when I need to start vomiting out names.

22 Aug 2014, 05:42
Captain
Captain

Have thanks: 270 time

22 Aug 2014, 08:00
Founder
Founder

elijahgerard24legend wrote:
I guess my World Thread History thread really motivated Jedi. :mrgreen:

I actually had my brainwave earlier in the day when you posted that thread, so when I was hinting at a space thread, I wasn't joking ;)

On a side note, you guys can start vomiting out some names for me. The sooner that is done, the sooner the next stage can start. Also, feel free to let me know if you are participating just so I can start a list of participants. Check the reserved post for the list of confirmed participants.

22 Aug 2014, 08:38
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Have thanks: 202 time
Names of planets:
Sulust
Abbregado Rae
Mon Calamari
Byss
Mandalore
Mustafar
Rhen Var
Hoth
Ziost
Korriban
Tatooine
Taanab
Ord Mantell
LV 426

22 Aug 2014, 09:13
Colonel
Colonel

Have thanks: 428 time
Kush
Sativa
Indica
Woolies
GZA
RZA
MZA
ODB
Rebel-INS
U-God
Gat
Tech-9
Maad
Big L
Big Pun
Big Pop
Havoc
Prodigy
Raekwon
Cappadonna
Gambino
K-Dot
MC Ren
Tical
Shakwon
Ghostdini
Yonkers
Domo-23
Gehenna
Doris
Nas
Aquemini
Stankonia
Colossus
Trashwang
Golfwang
Cisco
Jamba
Daytona
Belgium

22 Aug 2014, 09:39
Captain
Captain

Have thanks: 270 time
I created Nation in Nation States. It's Llamandia. They worship Llama and it's also their currency.

22 Aug 2014, 09:42
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next